Saturday 17 January 2009



Well i thought it was time for me to write the second entry for this blog and update my current progress through my endless 'to do' list. I have dedicated this weekend to tackling the final stages of my dissertation. I made a strong start before christmas and now just have the loose ends to tie up. My subject is the use of gender in advertising within the equestrian community. I have found researching this essay incredibly interesting, especially my audience research. Before writing the essay i had assumed everybody was of a similar opinion, but actually there is a wide variety of interpretations of gender within this community, with no set ideas coming from any set age groups. Just when i thought that my essay couldn't become more enjoyable to write, it did. These conflicting opinions have given me so many leads to write about that when i finish this first draft i am going to need to do some serious editing! I also have a section in my dissertation featuring the advertising images used by Chester Race Course for its annual Show Jumping event last summer, (you can see one above). They were supposed to raise the image of the sport and shake off the stuffiness often associated with the sport. I am sorry but in my opinion they are an epic fail. To find out more about them you need to go on the Daily Mail website and search for Chester Race Course, the article is appropriately titled...'Forgotton your jodhpurs, girls? Showjumping makes a desperate bid to find new 21st Century Image'... Desperate indeed! Rach xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment